As the saying goes ‘Actions speak louder than words.’ Our kids are more affected by what we do rather than what we say. Our actions build their character. How we spend our time with them working on our relationship with them define them in the long run because somewhere what we are is what we have seen our parents do and behave with us.
Summer is fast approaching and so are the long vacations. Our kids will be looking forward to spend that time with us doing activities as a family. Ah! These are dreams we mothers have. What actually happens is my 10 year old wakes up with his iPad, has his breakfast with the TV and lunch with the PSP. Then there are other gadgets that take away his time away from the activities that once were considered entertaining.
So you’d ask what to do to make the summer vacations more interesting? Here are a few things you can do to awaken their interest in something apart from the gadgets.
- Spend time with them irrespective of your busy schedule at office. Take time out for them. Plan activities around them. Fix play dates and make sure you don’t miss out on that.
- Admit them to camps and other activities that do not take up too much of their time and energy. Summer camps are easiest thing to do for working mothers. Enrol your kid at one camp or other that will keep them busy and far from nagging you. Career is important but make sure your child is not overtaxed.
- Do something extra special with them. Create one nice memory with them to carry forward till the next year.
- Engage in more outdoor activities like sports, picnics, parks, amusement parks and more, which you both enjoy. Even while indoor, engage in mind games, card games, art and craft activities, cooking your favourite meal, etc.
- Have his/her friends over for simple parties, maybe a pool party or a play date. This will help them meet their friends regularly but under your guidance.
- Plan a trip, if the time allows, to someplace you both have not been. Trekking is always a good option to spend time with the kids and be gadget free, both you and the child. Treks teach the children to be adventurous and adjust to the nature, and doing it with you will be an added adventure.
- Having grandparents or visiting them is also a change for the kids and also allows them to bond with them.
- Spend some time teaching them something new. And if you too do not know learn together. Join classes together and have some fun with your kid.
Kids grow up too soon. So create some good memories for you and them to cherish and look back to. This summer let it be an opportunity to make it special for your kids. Kids will remember their time spent with us mothers forever.